Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> writes:

> El jue, 30-10-2003 a las 13:49, Johannes Rohr escribió:
>> Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
>> > xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type string --set
>> > /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image
>> > "/usr/share/images/desktop-base/Splash-Debian_red.png"
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Yes, sure this looks more elegant. But then then desktop-base either
>> has to depend on gconf, which is not desirable for anyone who wants
>> only KDE or you have to silently skip this command if gconf is not
>> available at postinst time. But then, what do you do if gconf is being
>> installed at any later stage?
>

> Hmmm good point. Btw, it's better a gconf dependency than a
> gnome-session one, isn't it?

But even gconf2 draws a host of packages in:

Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.2.4), libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), libgconf2-4 (>=
2.4.0.1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.2.3), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.2.1), liborbit2
(>= 1:2.8.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.2.1), libpopt0 (>= 1.7), libxml2 (>=
2.5.9), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)

> Now, I think it's better if we add this change to gnome-session package
> and gnome-session should depends on desktop-base package.

You mean, a schemas file containing Debian-specific settings should be
added to gnome-session instead of being part of desktop-base?

>> Probably the postinst for gconf would have to be modified to check
>> for the presense of the desktop-base package. If the latter is
>> installed, it should register a yet-to-be-written
>> "/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop-base.schemas" that contains any
>> Debian-specific GNOME settings.
>
> As I said, gnome-session is a better place. gconf is a non GUI library
> so it has no sense to add GUI settings there...

[...]

But technically this is not a valid argument. gconf can store any GUI
setting regardless of whether the respective GUI programs are
installed. If you later install that program, it will pick up the
setting.

What I'm not clear about is, how can Debian-specific settings be
protected? E.g you set /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image to a
nice Debian splash screen. If you later install or reinstall
gnome-session and the schemas file belonging to that package is
registered, won't the earlier setting be overridden?

Johannes
--
~/.signature under construction