Re: kdeartwork kdeartwork-theme-desktop kdebase kdeprint kept back

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:07:46 +0100, Paul Cupis wrote:

>On Thursday 23 October 2003 02:19, Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> What I don't understand is why anyone ever does simple "upgrade" when
>> it seems that "dist-upgrade" is cleverer and more useful.
>
>Probably because during transisions, or unrelated breakage, dist-upgrade
>may actually want to remove half of your system. For example, the
>recent libxft breakage. apt-get dist-upgrade wanted to remove most of
>the KDE development packages from my machine.

OK - for development Debian releases, where package dependencies may
be a little screwy at times, I can see why you'd need to be a bit wary
of dist-upgrade's actions.  But for the stable release, is it fair to
say that dist-upgrade _should_ always do the Right Thing ?

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
Q. Why is top posting bad?