Re: kdeartwork kdeartwork-theme-desktop kdebase kdeprint kept back

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:47:09 +0300, Mihalis I. Tsoukalos wrote:

>why do I get the following message:
>
>racoon:~# apt-get upgrade
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following packages have been kept back
>  kdeartwork kdeartwork-theme-desktop kdebase kdeprint
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4  not
>upgraded.

It depends what exactly you were trying to achieve.  If you were
simply updating your system with slightly modified versions (say
security updates) of packages which are already on your system, then
yes, you're right, they should have been updated by the above command.

However, if you're trying to install a major upgrade (say from one
release of KDE to another), then for reasons I don't fully understand
the standard advice is that you must run
   apt-get dist-upgrade
rather than
   apt-get upgrade
As an example, IIUC "upgrade" will never *remove* an existing package
from your system if it conflicts with one of the new packages to be
installed - however "dist-upgrade" *will* do that, and will do
anything else necessary to ensure the upgrade you requested does
actually happen.

What I don't understand is why anyone ever does simple "upgrade" when
it seems that "dist-upgrade" is cleverer and more useful.

If what I've just said doesn't help, then give us more information on
what kind of update/upgrade you're actually trying to do (and tell us
which Debian release you're using).

Cheers
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK