Re: Does KDE really support XRender?

On Sunday 12 October 2003 13:49, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> The initial rendering or the redrawing of a window does involve both the
> WM and the app redrawing their respective bits of the window.  Can you
> suggest a way of doing things such that this /isn't/ the case?  To the

From the start I have found the concept of a window manager weird. It's like a
crippled gui tool kit plugin. Cripled because it can only handle window
One way to avoid having to do full redraw of revieled - (is that spelled
correctly btw? I was amazed not being able to find it in my dictionary. :)
- areas would be to always have all windows fully rendered and buffered. When
you move a window you would then blit the window to the new position and the
revieled areas would be blitted from the buffer.
Check out photon gui for qnx.

> Hmm.  I have a friend that uses Mathematica with ssh forwarding and
> compression from Uni to his 256/64 DSL line.  While I haven't seen it
> myself, he implied that it worked tolerably quickly.

I couldn't even start it up..

> That works the same way remotely as locally.  But it wouldn't surprise
> me if X's colour map handling sucks... :-)

If you cover an IDL visualisation window, the contents are not redrawn. You
just get a black window. Though you could say that this is just IDLs fault, I
would argue that it really should be the guis job to handle window refreshes.

Other than that you raise some valid points.

This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.1.4 on Debian GNU/Linux