Re: Does KDE really support XRender?

On Sunday 12 October 2003 15:44, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2003 13:49, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > The initial rendering or the redrawing of a window does involve both
> > the WM and the app redrawing their respective bits of the window.
> > Can you suggest a way of doing things such that this /isn't/ the
> > case?  To the
>
> From the start I have found the concept of a window manager weird. It's
> like a crippled gui tool kit plugin. Cripled because it can only handle
> window borders.
> One way to avoid having to do full redraw of revieled - (is that
> spelled correctly btw? I was amazed not being able to find it in my
> dictionary. :) - areas would be to always have all windows fully
> rendered and buffered. When you move a window you would then blit the
> window to the new position and the revieled areas would be blitted from
> the buffer.

I think Cameron Patrik wrote earlier, that this is how it works already.

> If you cover an IDL visualisation window, the contents are not redrawn.
> You just get a black window. Though you could say that this is just
> IDLs fault, I would argue that it really should be the guis job to
> handle window refreshes.

Well, you are right, it is the GUIs job, so obviously IDLs GUI failed to
do it properly.
It either irgnored the expose event or it didn't handle it correctly.

Not grafic system can fix a broken application refusing to draw content.

Cheers,
kevin
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>
Developer at the Kmud Project http://www.kmud.de/