Re: Again: Delays starting KDE apps after upgrade 3.1.3 => 3.1.4

On Thu 18 Sep 2003 5:54 am, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since upgrading KDE to version 3.1.4 on Debian Woody I experince delays
> when starting KDE applications. Don't had these delays on KDE 3.1.3. My
> /etc/hosts contains valid entries for localhost and the name of the
> machine.
>
> The delays occur for example when
> - accessing the first webpage from konqueror (status line says "xxx
>   contacted. Waiting for reply where xxx is the hostname. It is
>   regardless which host I access. The next access comes at fast as
>   expected.
> - starting kmail (needs more than 10 seconds to start, half that long
>   with KDE 3.1.3)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Frank

Here are a couple of the usual suspects that cause KDE slowness:

1. Out-of-date font cache.  Fix by running fc-cache -f -v as root.

2. /tmp/.ICE-unix/ missing or has wrong owner/group/permissions.  To fix,
execute following commands as root.
mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix
chown root.root /tmp/.ICE-unix
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

3. I've also found that if you're on a non-permanent net connection such as a
dialup, it helps to run your own DNS server, since many programs expect DNS
service to be working at all times, otherwise they throw errors or sit
through long timeouts before responding to user input.  For a home
workstation on a ppp connection, pdnsd is a good personal DNS server that
gets the job done without creating too many hassles.