Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

Ralf Nolden writes:

  Ralf> On Freitag, 16. Mai 2003 10:57, Chris Cheney wrote:
  >> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:41:00AM +0200, Dominique Devriese
  >> wrote:
  >> > "tell your users to use the option to ./configure", you mean, I
  >> > guess, which is why I don't like this option too much..
  >> >
  >> > Do you think there is any way to make ./configure auto-detect
  >> > this ?  Could perhaps debianrules get another output target
  >> > that would be usable in a shell, and ./configure could source
  >> > this if it detects it's on a debian system ?

For reference, I sent a patch to Daniel Stone that adds this target,
and he told me he would be committing this.  However, Stephan Kulow
told me he would not put any distribution-specific code in
acinclude.m4.in, so it doesn't really help..

  >> The best solution that I can come up with is fix the things in my
  >> other email I just sent to the list and also change the
  >> documentation dir default and config dir default to something
  >> saner. ;) Hint /usr/share/config is a FHS violation... Otherwise
  >> have kde-config provide all paths that are used so that the
  >> configure scripts can find the right location. Actually doing
  >> both of the above might be a good idea.

  Ralf> Please mind what you're doing there - if I understand you
  Ralf> correctly. It will have a *deep* impact with little noticable
  Ralf> difference to the user but to all KDE apps that are already
  Ralf> compiled the way they are now.

Yes,  I think this problem is a problem for whole of KDE.  Maybe we
should try to make the change in KDE, however this would probably have
to wait for KDE 4 then, since it would not be easy to sanitize the
paths stuff while keeping backward compatibility.

Changing stuff in Debian-specific patches only creates a different set
of annoying compatibility problems, especially for third party source
packages, as you can see from the recent discussion about the problems
caused by kdelibs.dirs.patch.

  Ralf> I wouldn't change anything on the current setup - you can
  Ralf> install the packages but you can also, alongside, compile your
  Ralf> own CVS and applications into /usr/local (did that here and it
  Ralf> works fine)

Agreed.  However, I think that we should maybe try to start a
discussion on kde-core-devel about the KDE install paths policy, so
that it might get fixed in KDE 4.

cheers
domi

--