Using arts and alsa (direct) simultaneously?

Hello List,

is there a way to use arts (artsd) and alsa devices directly in parallel?
The problem I have is that I can only use either artsd OR other programs
that need direct access to alsa hardware and I wonder if there is a way to get
both at the same time running? Probably there is a way to configure alsa devices to
allow a certain number of clients to acces to it (via virtual devices or ports)
but I haven't found out yet how to set this up.

Any hints?

Tx,

Olaf

--
"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny!" Frank Zappa