compiling KDE apps

Hi list,

Every now and then I meet a good app that isn't in Debian (sid) and compile it
myself. It doesn't always seem so simple wth kde apps however. I tried to
compile kopete; Compiling goes fine but when I run the program (from the
source dir,) the prompt comes back immediately, and there's no kopete window.
This is in my proces list:

yalu       621  0.0  5.9 25248 15300 ?       S    12:04   0:00 kopete -session
117f000001000

When I run  from /usr/local/stow/kopete, where I installed it, this is what I
get:

kopete: KopeteEmoticons::initEmoticons : WARNING: emoticon-map not found

Anyone?

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it