Re: KDE 3.1.1 (Cheney's debs), kio_smb "internal error", wants me to report a bug, but...

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 21:33, Phil Edwards wrote:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2003/debian-kde-200303/msg00624.html
>
>     which clearly means that kdebase-kio-plugins should depend on
>     libsmbclient.  Install libsmbclient.

Thats what I figure too. However this is obviously very complicated stuff..

> 3)  Fired up konqueror, clicked on "LAN Browser", started clicking on
> machines which have been running Samba.  Click my way down to "homes".

LAN Browser doesn't work for me at all.

Logically I would expect smb browsing to show the computers in the current
workgroup via the url smb://

This doesn't work for me either.

> 4)  Click on any of the services, such as "homes".  Get:
>
>         An error occured while loading smb://magnolia/edwardpm/:

I can browse through a computers shares, once i tell konquerer which computer
to go to like this:

smb://anders/

I can copy files from all shares to local directories and I can copy from my
system to write enabled shares.

However I experience several inconviniences (bugs):

Most files get the executable flag set even though they are just data files
like pictures or music.

Sometimes I get an error like "destination is write protected". This occurs at
various illogical places, like after copying a file succesfully to a remote
write enabled share. It can even occur when copying the other way which does
not make sence at all.

> Trying to do /anything/ at bugs.kde.org just causes the browser to hang,

This is something else. That works fine for me.

> so I'm hoping someone here might tell me what I can try next, how to gather
> any more information that could be useful, ...?

Did you remember to reboot after installing libsmbclient (or at least log out
and in again). That matters.

Anyway smb browsing seems to have a very low priority in the kde project,
which I think is sad because for me it is an essential feature.

Anders

--
This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.1 on Debian GNU/Linux