Re: KDE woody debs on CD ?

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 15:55, Benoit Mortier wrote:
> Le Mercredi 19 Mars 2003 10:06, Ralf Nolden a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to ask around wether people would be interested in buying a CD
> > with my woody debs that can be used with apt-cdrom add and then install
> > the whole stuff on a stock woody system.
>
> Yes. that will be usefull to use a lug events, lcp (linux copy party ;-))
> and so on..

Well. Considered that you don't have to pay for Debian necessarily anyway and
for KDE in particular, compared to buying a commercial distro where the money
doesn't *directly* fund the free software developers anyway I think it's
about time to gather the LUG's and tell them how they can support the ongoing
free software development *directly*.

Donating to KDE and Debian helps if you don't want to program or translate or
help out otherwise, and making everyone donate (at least advising to donate)
that you give a copy.

> > The reason for this question is that a) it's a tremendous amount of work
> > and b) I can argument with my boss that I need to continue that work :-)
>
> maybe we can dispatch the work and upload it back to ktown.kde.org ???
You don't seem to have any idea :-)  The thing that can be done is helping to
keep track of HEAD when it comes to packaging. Other people besides Ben and
Chris are helping out already but to really focus on HEAD again will require
a huge amount of work because e.g. kdepim and kdenetwork have been moving
complete directories around. This work needs to be coordinated and scheduled
so we have debs for HEAD even for beta1 of KDE 3.2 where you can upgrade to
the next KDE version without the mess that we experienced with KDE 3.0.x to
KDE 3.1, including the latest mess with kdepim in KDE 3.1.1 :-}

> > Would be nice to know if it would make any sense continuing beyond the
> > point where it's just for fun (it is) but also helps KDE e.V., the
> > non-profit organization that is the legal entity representing KDE and/or
> > doing it during my work hours.
>
> are they in europe ??

Yes. A german Linux support company where most of us are developers - KDE or
Debian or both :-)

Ralf
- --
Ralf Nolden