Re: Compiling KDE Apps (new thread)

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 04:56, Bruce wrote:
> There have been a number of conflicting suggestions about problems with
> compiling KDE apps, and I suspect the various suggestions/thoughts may be
> right for different configurations. However, as it now stands, it is not
> clear what the problem many people seem to be having, or what the solution
> is. Some say "there's a bug", the packagers say "no, there's not".
>
> I have read /usr/share/doc/libqt3-mt/README-Debian.gz, and tried the
> various suggestions there, but the problem doesn't seem to be addressed.
> However, I am not a coder, and really know nothing about how compiling
> programs work, so probably wouldn't know the solution if I read it
> somewhere.
>
> I also want to say that this is (for me, in any case) not a big issue; the
> KDE debs made available by Ralf are fabulous, work great, and have made a
> big difference for anyone wanting to run KDE on a stable machine. If I
> can't compile the one or two programs not available through ktown.kde.org,
> I don't really care. So, rather than griping, I figure the least I can do
> is try to digest some of the information on the list to help sort out what
> appears to be a fairly common problem.

If you want to compile a KDE app, you're best off debianizing it:

dh_make -t /usr/share/doc/kdelibs4-dev/dh-make

The problem you found with the wrong symlinks in qt-3.1.2 packages is correct.
I'm rebuilding Qt to address this problem.

Martin: It may be best if we put all symlinks from /usr/lib to
/usr/share/qt3/lib in the -dev.links files instead of spreading them around.
They really only do make sense in the dev packages anyway and they need
updating for each updated Qt build when the library version number changes.
Putting them all in the -dev packages may be the best solution IMHO so we
don't forget any of the changes that have to be made (that would reduce the
changes to libqt3-dev.links and libqt3-mt-dev.links)

Ralf

> Here's what I can gather to date:
>
> First, I am still not sure which QT development packages need to be
> installed to compile KDE3 applications. There are two, mutually exclusive
> packages - libqt3-mt-dev, and libqt3-dev. They conflict, and installing
> either one will remove the other. The description for libqt3-dev says it
> is deprecated in favour of libqt3-mt-dev; to quote:
>
> 	WARNING: The nonthreaded version of Qt3 is
> 	considered deprecated and may disappear anytime
> 	in the future. Please use libqt3-mt instead
>
>  I assume this means:
>
> 	Install libqt3-mt-dev instead of libqt3-dev
>
> Second, when I (and several others) install the current 3.1.2 version of
> the libqt3-mt-dev package (libqt3-mt-dev_3.1.2-0woody1_i386.deb), it
> creates the following symlinks in /usr/share/qt3/lib:
>
>  libqt-mt.so		-->     ../../../lib/libqt-mt.so.3.1.1
>  libqt-mt.so.3  		-->     ../../../lib/libqt-mt.so.3.1.1
>  libqt-mt.so.3.1		-->     ../../../lib/libqt-mt.so.3.1.1
>  libqt.so.3     	        -->     ../../../lib/libqt.so.3.1.1
>  libqt.so.3.1   		-->     ../../../lib/libqt.so.3.1.1
>
> These all point to /usr/lib. However, there is no *.so.3.1.1 in /usr/lib;
> the file names there are *.so.3.1.2. This would explain why people who
> experience the above behaviour cannot compile anything, as configure
> cannot find the qt development libraries.
>
> Changing the symlinks to point to  ../../../lib/libqt.so.3.1.2 seems to
> work for most people (though it doesn't for me, I expect there is
> something else wrong with my system). So the next question is:
>
> Is there a bug in libqt3-mt-dev, in that the symlinks in
> /usr/share/qt3/lib point to the wrong place??
>
> Bruce

- --
Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org