Re: Xinerama support in Ralf's debs

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:40:25PM +0100, Sebastian Kanthak wrote:

> > I have "standard woody" and ralf's debs from
> >
> > deb ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/kde/stable/3.1/Debian/ stable main
> > and woody's XFree 4.1.0-16 configured to do xinerama on a
>
> hm, I'm using XFree 4.2.1 from Adrian Bunk's woody repository as my card is
> not supported properly under 4.1. Could it be an incompatible library? Is
> there a possibility to check, why the Xinerama settings in kcontrol are
> disabled?

Yes, this is very probably the reason. As far as I know, the
xinerama functionality is not implemented in a shared library,
but in a static library which changes from XFree version to XFree
version. The result is, that a KDE compiled with xinerama support
will only work if XFree86 on the target machine is the same
version as the XFree86 on the machine where KDE was compiled.

I think that recompiling the KDE debs is not *that* hard, so it
might be possible that you can do it yourself. Presumably,
recompiling kdelibs should be enough.

(Note that if there is anyone on the list who knows *exactly*
where KDE links with the static xinerama libraries, please
correct me if I'm wrong!)

--
Andreas Trottmann
Ideen Werft22 GmbH

Werft22 sdreamt auch an der CeBIT in Hannover vom 12.-19. März 2003,
Halle/Stand 011 F15