Re: Memory Usage - KDE - Where is discussion on this?

I hear a little bit of trolling here, but I'm going to respond anyway...

On Saturday 15 February 2003 18:36, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> Looking for a good forum for discussing memory usage..
> Aside from the fact that konqueror seems to swallow an incredible mount of
> memory, and not release it, it seems that it is taking more and more
> memory, just to fire up the base functionality.

I also remarked that since version 3.1, konqueror slows down X after a while.
The memory leak part is probably true.

> A fresh boot of debian stable, to KDE 3.1, with just an xterm open results
> in 98 MG of memory being used.  Oh, I know, memory is cheap, but that
> sounds like some other not to mentioned credo..

Please check actual memory usage by kde processes, not memory used by the
system! Also note that memory usage monitoring for X is *always* incorrect...

> To just have a simple window manager up, I never would expect that kind of
> memory usage.  Curious, are we sacrificing performance for other benifits?

Not really. First of all, you'll still run parts of kde when you use konqueror
under twm. Second, I agree that kde is pretty memory-hungry. I think this is
a side effect of the development history of kde since 1996, the history of a
breakthrough of a user-friendly and free unix desktop. Up to some time,
developers have been racing to give Kde a decent framework, and all the apps
and infrastructure and features (and eye-candy) one can hope for. It's just
about getting at the level of proprietary desktops (and beyond).

People may grumble about kde taking much resources (I plaid guilty, as I see
that I'm incapable of running many kde apps on machines that run windows 95
well), but I am also seeing a change here. Kde becomes pretty mature, and
it's time to improve what we have right now. I am sure developers know this.
It has been high on the agenda for kde 3.0, and overall performance HAS
improved, expecially if we talk about cpu resources. Have patience. Give it
another year or two, and you'll see it kde as a whole becomes more viable for
lower end hardware.

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be