Re: 3.1 kl - 3.1 final

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 10:01, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 5. Februar 2003 09:04 schrieb Chris Cheney:
> > Sarge/Testing doesn't get security fixes is the primary reason not to
> > run it imho. Also it is horribly out of date due to the fact that libc6
> > 2.3 still isn't in it.
>
> So you think, tracking security.debian.org and recompiling some packages
> (apt-get -t unstable -b source) is not sufficient?
> You must be kidding to give the explicit advice to track unstable.
>
> And Woody does not even have current X without external packages which are
> not served with security fixes, too. Well, it does not have current libc6,
> either. So what?
>
> Anyway, is there _any_ sane reason that testing has not security apt
> source?

Yes, lack of manpower. The security team does an enormous amount of work
already and unless someone steps up security updates for testing very much
probably just won't happen.
I guess someone doing the "apt-get -t unstable -b source" thing regularly
enough and putting his packages into an apt-gettable repository would be a
good start...

Cheers,
Yven

--