Re: Synchronization tool for KDE?

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 10:03:55PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Hi,

Hi! :)

> I think that I am not the only one who synchonizes directories to
> other computers. I used the pretty good tool sitecopy for that. But
> now, I do not want to stick with ftp any longer. I installed the
> kio-fish packages and I think it's cool and fast.

I've begun to love kio_fish. I think it needs more attention (ideas: SSH
detection in kio_lan/kio_rlan, a "Network sites" tab in Konqueror's
sidebar that auto-adds an entry whenever somebody enters a fish://
URL and adds SSH capable machines in the local network automatically,

> So maybe some of you have an idea about a good program that has the
> capabilities and control of sitecopy but can use the kio plugins. It
> is important that it can sync according to several profiles in one
> step. Does anybody know such a tool and can recommend it?

Once i have a little more time (ie. end of January, when my internship
is over and I'm *supposed* to start with my diploma thesis ;-) I will
look into librsync and if/how to connect it to a KDE application or
kioslave that will enable Konqueror to do a "fast copy" if the
destination URL exists already, and it side supports rsync or
rsync-over-ssh. Also, a rsync browser mode is planned.

Darn ... I've got soo many ideas and so little time =;(

--
mfg, Jens Benecke	http://www.hitchhikers.de: Europas Mitfahrzentrale

When they encrypted TV (Macrovision) I said nothing - I don't have a TV.
When they encrypted DVD (CSS) I said nothing - I don't watch DVDs.
When they encrypted the OS (XP,XBOX) I said nothing - I don't use XP.
When they encrypted the internet I said nothing
					- there was no one left to talk to.