Kweather destroys kde when it's server is down

I really like the Kweather tool applet and appreciate the way it's been
improved with newer levels of KDE.

However once or twice a year it causes my KDE system to come to a halt
with swapper thrashing and taskbar not responding when it's referenced
weather HTTP site is not available. It starts producing KDE error
messages and CAN NOT be killed using either KsysGuard or a command line
kill -9 of it's pid. This happens with KDE 2.2 through 3.1.

I am monitoring weather every 30 minutes, but when Kweather can't get
it's data it gets into an error loop posting a message every few
seconds.

I am copying the kweather author (Jürgen Hochwald)  with this note who
may be able to help.

One thing is kweather itself but how can a task such as kweatherservice
be killed?  As above Ksysguard allows a kill but kweatherservice comes
back to the process list immediately.  The same thing happens when I do
kill -9 of it's pid. I presume Kweather and KDE error processing are in
a tight loop and I don't how to stop it.

Michael