Fonts on KDE

I've got Debian sid (2.4.18 kernel) with kde 2.2.2 installed on my Omnibook
500. I'm having a hard time getting fonts to behave. Is there a decent FAQ
covering font installation? I'd really love something with a troubleshooting
diagram.

I have anti-aliasing working. My problem is KDE itself only seems to
recognize about 10 fonts in the look & Feel:Fonts panel (courier 10 pitch,
nimbus, a few others). KDE will render Helvitica but I can't select it in
the picker. KWord also seems to let me select from about 10 different fonts.

This is a KDE problem since gfontsel seems to recognize over 100 fonts,
including my true type fonts, but it has problems with some (not all) 2 byte
fonts. gfontview seems to render everything as long as I point it at the
right directory. Crufty old xfontsel seems to recongnize all my fonts and
renders them just fine.

"xlsfonts | wc -l" gives 5462, so there are plenty of fonts installed as far
as X is concerned.

How do I get KDE to at least recognize my TT fonts?

Thanks for any help

Charlie.