Re: Fonts on KDE

Charlie Reiman wrote:
I've got Debian sid (2.4.18 kernel) with kde 2.2.2 installed on my Omnibook
500. I'm having a hard time getting fonts to behave. Is there a decent FAQ
covering font installation? I'd really love something with a troubleshooting
diagram.

I have anti-aliasing working. My problem is KDE itself only seems to
recognize about 10 fonts in the look & Feel:Fonts panel (courier 10 pitch,
nimbus, a few others). KDE will render Helvitica but I can't select it in
the picker. KWord also seems to let me select from about 10 different fonts.

This is a KDE problem since gfontsel seems to recognize over 100 fonts,
including my true type fonts, but it has problems with some (not all) 2 byte
fonts. gfontview seems to render everything as long as I point it at the
right directory. Crufty old xfontsel seems to recongnize all my fonts and
renders them just fine.

"xlsfonts | wc -l" gives 5462, so there are plenty of fonts installed as far
as X is concerned.

How do I get KDE to at least recognize my TT fonts?

Thanks for any help

Charlie.

Charlie,

It just so happens that I have recently did a "fresh" install of Debian Woody, then upgraded to "testing" and installed the msttcorefonts package AND ran into the same problem as you! I had a "working" KDE system before the re-install, so I had to re-create my previous steps.

As it turned out, all I had to do was modify the /etc/X11/XftConfig file and add the new Defoma path names to get access to the TrueType fonts from the status you described. Basically, I had to make the changes recommended during the x-ttcidfont package config when it was installed! I also had to start (restart?) the xfs server to read in the new / modified file.

Here is my /etc/X11/XftConfig file:

# $XFree86: xc/lib/Xft/XftConfig.cpp,v 1.8 2001/11/21 23:41:12 keithp Exp $

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
# dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"

#
# alias 'fixed' for 'mono'
#
match any family == "fixed"             edit family =+ "mono";

#
# Check users config file
#
includeif       "~/.xftconfig"

#
# Alias between XLFD families and font file family name, prefer local
# fonts
#
match any family == "charter"           edit family += "bitstream charter";
match any family == "bitstream charter" edit family =+ "charter";

There is some other stuff that you can do with this file to clean up hinting and aliases, that I have not done here. That is described in the /usr/share/doc/anti-aliasing-howto/XftConfig.examples file on your computer. You might be interested in some of that too..

HTH,
-Don Spoon-