Re: Recent Reformat -- Was It Necessary?

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:

> lördagen den 16 november 2002 18.34 skrev Robert Tilley:
>
> > The file libstdc++1.2.something.so disappeared which caused attempts to use
> > aptitude or apt-get to fail.  As I'm inexperienced with solely using dpkg
> > for system maintenance, I perform a complete reinstall of Debian.
>
> Something similar happened to me, once, but I somehow managed to loose libc6,
> which caused ALL programs to fail, including dpkg, cp, ls and all that.
>
> I really think that dpkg and apt-get should be statically linked, so such
> disasters can't happen..... Maybe that's a good precation, to always build
> dpkg and apt-get from source, and make it static?

I don't know dpkg enough to tell, but apt-get is using external programs
that means you'd possibly have to build those statically as well at which
point it's easier to burn or get yourself a copy of the knoppix cd [1] or
similar and just copy a new libc in place.

*t

[1] http://www.knoppix.de/, they will even mail you a copy.

         Tomas Pospisek
         http://sourcepole.ch