Re: Recent Reformat -- Was It Necessary?

lördagen den 16 november 2002 18.34 skrev Robert Tilley:

> The file libstdc++1.2.something.so disappeared which caused attempts to use
> aptitude or apt-get to fail.  As I'm inexperienced with solely using dpkg
> for system maintenance, I perform a complete reinstall of Debian.

Something similar happened to me, once, but I somehow managed to loose libc6,
which caused ALL programs to fail, including dpkg, cp, ls and all that.

I really think that dpkg and apt-get should be statically linked, so such
disasters can't happen..... Maybe that's a good precation, to always build
dpkg and apt-get from source, and make it static?

> I'm still in the process of restoring all of my applications.  I know that
> a complete reinstall is reminiscent of M$ Window$ and I wonder if I could
> have fixed my problems.

I guess in your case I could have downloaded libstdc++1.2 with ftp or with a
web browser and installed it with dpkg.

> (Yes, I did neglect to back up my /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf,
> /etc/apt/sources.list and execute a "dpkg -l > old-application-list" but
> that's another matter... Live and learn.)

I have been there too. Managed to have a broken shell script that did a:
	sudo -rm -fr $DIRPATH/
unfortunately, I had misspelled DIRPATH, which was supposed to hold the
directory to delete, so the command that executed was:
	sudo rm -fr /
It took me a second or so before realising what was happening, and aborted it,
but by then the whole of /bin and /etc and /lib was gone, and.... Nothing
working anymore.

The good thing with unix/linux is that you usually can recover from such
mishaps without having to reinstall the whole thing. In windows you normally
can't.

After that I always did fakeroot when building packages, and never have
rm -fr $DIRPATH in my scripts, but only explicit paths when it comes to rm.

-- Karolina