Re: Recent Reformat -- Was It Necessary?

Op zaterdag 16 november 2002 18:34, schreef Robert Tilley:
> I'm posting this to the list because a problematic state of my machine
> occured after an update of KDE 3.1b2.

This is a coincidence, the bug has nothing to do with KDE (allthough KDE
fails because of it).

> The file libstdc++1.2.something.so disappeared which caused attempts to use
> aptitude or apt-get to fail.  As I'm inexperienced with solely using dpkg
> for system maintenance, I perform a complete reinstall of Debian.
>
> I'm still in the process of restoring all of my applications.  I know that
> a complete reinstall is reminiscent of M$ Window$ and I wonder if I could
> have fixed my problems.

Yes, you could have. An experienced Debian admin can save from pretty much any
situation.

> (Yes, I did neglect to back up my /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf,
> /etc/apt/sources.list and execute a "dpkg -l > old-application-list" but
> that's another matter... Live and learn.)
>
> Can anyone chime in with a way I might have avoided the catastrophic
> solution I chose?
> --

A solution that worked for me is:

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++libc6.2-2.so.3 /usr/local/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
ldconfig

(I have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf, I don't think that's by default).

Another answer to your question would be: Don't run unstable!
Unstable is named unstable for a reason, it's not suited for inexperienced
admins, and sooner or later it will ruin your system (as you have
experienced).
Run stable ("woody") if you want to be safe. If you need more recent software,
try testing ("sarge"). Testing software has passed some time in unstable, and
the most offending bugs are usually kept out of it.

--
	Casper Gielen
CAPSLOCK2000@zvdk.nl, capslock2000@subdimension.com