Re: Recent Reformat -- Was It Necessary?

Robert Tilley wrote:

> The file libstdc++1.2.something.so disappeared which caused attempts to use
> aptitude or apt-get to fail.  As I'm inexperienced with solely using dpkg
> for system maintenance, I perform a complete reinstall of Debian.

The problem was with  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 1:2.95.4-14 which had a broken
symlink.

> I'm still in the process of restoring all of my applications.  I know that
> a complete reinstall is reminiscent of M$ Window$ and I wonder if I could
> have fixed my problems.

No, a complete reinstall is rarely neccessary. You have been brainwashed by
too many years of M$. Try and unlearn this habit.

> (Yes, I did neglect to back up my /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf,
> /etc/apt/sources.list and execute a "dpkg -l > old-application-list" but
> that's another matter... Live and learn.)
>
> Can anyone chime in with a way I might have avoided the catastrophic
> solution I chose?

An easy solution would have been to downgrade to the previous version (rev
-12):

#dpkg -i  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_1:2.95.4-12_i386.deb

Of course it helps if you still have the previous version handy - check out
package apt-move. apt-listchanges is another handy package to have installed.

HTH.

--
Simon Hepburn.