Re: Debian KDE maintainer burnout??? (was: Warning)

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:10:13PM +0000, John Gay scrawled:
> On Tue 31 Dec 2002 17:06, Brad Felmey wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 22:36, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > This is an insult to Chris and everyone else working on KDE.
> >
> > I don't see it that way at all. Chris has 1,001 reasons why there's no
> > packages available, while all around others are accomplishing it.
>
> Personally, I think Chris, Daniel, Ben and all the others have done GREAT
> work! Chris has made his reasons clear and I applaud him for not poluting the
> Debian directories with many in-compatible versions.

I haven't really done a thing. :)

> Of course Others have provided various stop-gap measures to provide some
> semblance of KDE3 to those who really want it and are willing to take the
> hits that go with the teritory.
>
> Unfortunately, this is starting to sound like the same arguements that came
> up when imlib broke KDE2.x and Ivan realized that maintaining KDE was taking
> away too much of his time.

libpng, but yeah.

> Of course now we have a slightly different situation. There are many people
> working together to see the KDE3.1 and GCC3.2 merge into Debian with minimal
> trouble. In addition, we have others working to provide various intermedeate
> versions of KDE3.x based on whatever GCC is currently available.
>
> For myself, I have decided NOT to follow either set of KDE packages and live
> with KDE2.2.2 I was bitten several times during the last major upgrade and
> don't understand the Debian way of building enough to get myself out of
> trouble, therefore I just wait until it's official before I upgrade.
>
> Having said that, I still think EVERYONE deserves many thanks for the work
> they have put in. Both Chris's team working on the official packages, and the
> people working on hte not-so-official packages! Both efforts are enormous.
> Thank you to everyone!

The not-so-official packages generally have some resemblance to the
official packages; they're generally branched from CVS.

> Myself, I'm working up my courage to re-build my system from scratch once the
> KDE3.1 sources are released. Call my crazy, call me a masochist, just don't
> call me late for dinner ;-)

Yea, I'm rebuilding mine now, it sucks.

> Thank you to everyone and have a Happy New Year!

You too!
Daniel, from rainy Melbourne, Australia where it's 9:53am and thus FAR
too early to be at work.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
Developer - http://kopete.kde.org, http://www.kde.org