Re: KDE and Mozilla 1.2

I know this is a bit late but I just found out about this feature of Mozilla
in the recent Linux Magazine article.  Apparently Moz on *nix's can connect
to currently running Mozilla processes.  From the Moz web site:
<quote>
     When Netscape Navigator is invoked with the -remote argument, it does not
open a window, but instead connects to and controls an already-existing
process. The argument to the -remote switch is an Xt action to invoke, with
optional arguments.
     Remote control is implemented using X properties, so the two processes
need not be running on the same machine, and need not share a file system.
Example usage:
  mozilla -remote "openurl(http://www.mozilla.org)"
</quote>
(quote from http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html)
Particularly interesting are "openURL (URL, new-window)" and "openURL (URL,
new-tab)".
     This may not solve your problem, but may provide a decent work around.  I
added a new item with K Menu Editor and used the command
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla -remote "openurl(http://business.tamu.edu,
new-window)" instead of /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla.  This will open a new
window if Moz is already running.  Unfortunately, if Moz isn't running, you
get a "No running window found." error (from the command line)  If you wanted
to get fancy, you could write a shell script that check if Moz was running or
not and make the correct call...

--
Matt Tesauro
Systems Analyst and Web Applications Developer