a workaround: final posting since no help

WEll, I am getting absolutely no help in this forum.  However, I did figure
out a work around that allows me to get prints from kde apps until such time
as the system stabilizes and things work as they should.

I can pick the printer "print to PS file" which then does not call the
kdeprintd and simply creates a postscript file selectively on my harddrive.
Then, using the debian package qtcups, I can print to a cups printer that was
set up inside of kde.  Go figure it !

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory