kde 3 in woody - why so hard

I guess I don't get this.

The advantage of debian over all other distributions is meant to be the ease
of upgrades. Indeed, it is VERY well done, the apt mechanism is a beautiful
piece of software engineering.

So how come kde isn't trivial to upgrade?

In my new user naivety, I would have thought you could just add the kde.org
site to sources.list and apt-update/apt-upgrade.

But I see a number of postings about all kinds of complicated issues.

I gave it a try myself, and ended up with a horrible mess.

What gives?

Steve