Solved! was Re: Loss of https in konq after Debian 3.0 dist-upgrade

On Sunday 27 October 2002 01:24, Andrew Reid wrote:

  Following up to myself here:

> Hello --
>
>   I recently did a dist-upgrade of a Debian system, to solidify all
> the packages at the Debian 3.0 level, and I seem to have lost the
> ability to do https in konqueror.
>   I had solved this problem before (from advice in this list,
> thanks y'all) by ensuring that I had the "kdebase-crypto" and/or
> "kdelibs3-crypto" packages installed, but the dist-upgrade has
> them marked as "purge not-installed", and when I try to apt-get
> them again, I get:
>
> > Package kdebase-crypto has no available version, but exists in the
> > database. This typically means that the package was mentioned in a
> > dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available
> > with the contents of sources.list
> > However the following packages replace it:
> >   kdebase-libs
> > E: Package kdebase-crypto has no installation candidate
>
> dpkg -l kdebase-crypto reveals:
> > ii  kdebase-libs   2.2.2-14       KDE libraries and modules for kdebase

  That should have read "dpkg -l kdebase-libs", of course.

  I tried directly downloading the kdebase-crypto and
kdelibs3-crypto packages and installing them with dpkg -i,
which I think made some progress -- the packages are now
installed, https still does *not* work, but I got a
potentially informative message:

> [prompt]: dpkg -i *.deb
> (Reading database ... 69253 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking kdebase-crypto (from kdebase-crypto_2.2.2-2_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking kdelibs3-crypto (from kdelibs3-crypto_2.2.2-6_i386.deb) ...
> Adding `diversion of /usr/lib/kde2/kio_http.so to
>    /usr/lib/kde2/kio_http-nossl.so by kdelibs3-crypto'
> Adding `diversion of /usr/lib/kde2/kio_http.la to
>    /usr/lib/kde2/kio_http-nossl.la by kdelibs3-crypto'
> Adding `diversion of /usr/lib/libkssl.so.2.0.2 to
>    /usr/lib/libkssl-nossl.so.2.0.2 by kdelibs3-crypto'
> Adding `diversion of /usr/lib/libkssl.la to
>    /usr/lib/libkssl-nossl.la by kdelibs3-crypto'
> Setting up kdelibs3-crypto (2.2.2-6) ...
>
> Setting up kdebase-crypto (2.2.2-2) ...

  The "libkssl" file name was the big clue, as it turns
out -- I found out that this facility can also be provided
by "kdelibs-dev", so I installed *that* package, and *presto*,
I can do https now.

  There were some other package inconsistencies, related I
think to the fact that I was moving from an older "unstable"
distro to a newer "stable" distro, with the result that some
of the packages had to be downgraded before I ended up with a
consistent state.  I'm not really sure at what point in the
process https got fixed, but it works now.

				-- A.