Loss of https in konq after Debian 3.0 dist-upgrade

Hello --

  I recently did a dist-upgrade of a Debian system, to solidify all
the packages at the Debian 3.0 level, and I seem to have lost the
ability to do https in konqueror.
  I had solved this problem before (from advice in this list,
thanks y'all) by ensuring that I had the "kdebase-crypto" and/or
"kdelibs3-crypto" packages installed, but the dist-upgrade has
them marked as "purge not-installed", and when I try to apt-get
them again, I get:

> Package kdebase-crypto has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
> However the following packages replace it:
>   kdebase-libs
> E: Package kdebase-crypto has no installation candidate

dpkg -l kdebase-crypto reveals:
> ii  kdebase-libs   2.2.2-14       KDE libraries and modules for kdebase

  This is the most recent version.  I also have libssl,
> ii  libssl0.9.6    0.9.6c-2.woody SSL shared libraries

  Nevertheless, konqueror insists it can't do https.

  The "sources.list" file is:
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib
non-free

  Bizarre postscript:  I checked another machine (my work laptop),
which has also been recently dist-upgraded to Debian 3.0, with
the same sources.list file, and on that machine, kdebase-crypto 2.2.2-2,
kdelibs3-crypto 2.2.2-6, and kdebase-libs 2.2.2-14 are apparently
living side-by-side in peace.  To be extra brave, I re-did the
dist-upgrade, and it didn't break.  I can apt-get kdebase-crypto
from this machine, and it reports "already the latest version,
not upgraded."  Now, these machines were not dist-upgraded from
the same starting state, and they have different package sets,
obviously...

  So maybe there's another package that got purged on the one box but
not on the other, that's required to make it work?  Or, I used up
my luck on the first machine?  Evil spirits?

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net