Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 05:29:56PM -0400, Luke Seubert scrawled:
> On 10/24/2002 12:59 AM, Miles Bader at miles@lsi.nec.co.jp wrote:
>
> > Daniel Stone <dstone@kde.org> writes:
> >> Not necessarily. When I use KDE, I largely want to use KDE apps. I
> >> personally think GNOME/KDE should offer their own menus, with a submenu
> >> in each category for "Non-{GNOME,KDE} Applications". I don't see a
> >> problem with this, i.e. how our KDE3 packages do it.
> >
> > It sounds bizarre, actually, to classify programs by which toolkit they use.
> > I don't think most users really care.
> >

> Correct.  Most users coming over from Mac or Windows don't care about the
> whole QT versus GTK library and toolset issue.
>
> However, that does not mean that Debian Desktop should not care.  KDE apps
> are designed to run optimally under the KDE Desktop environment.  Apps run
> better and faster because the libraries are already pre-loaded.  Same
> applies to Gnome and GTK apps.

Also for consistency. If someone configures a proxy in the KDE Control
Centre, this change will propagate to all KDE apps, but not stuff like
ImageMajick (you can open a http:// URL in KWord, for instance). Also,
colour configs, etc, can be preserved across applications.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne