Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 05:29:56PM -0400, Luke Seubert wrote:
> However, that does not mean that Debian Desktop should not care.  KDE apps
> designed to run optimally under the KDE Desktop environment.  Apps run
> better and faster because the libraries are already pre-loaded.
>
> So, if Desktop Debian wants users to have a desktop that "Just Works",
> without any puzzling delays waiting for some apps to load - everything nice
> and smooth and well integrated - then it makes sense for DD to worry about
> these issues.

Perhaps DD should _think_ about this issue -- for instance, if it has to
choose only one terminal program to display in a menu, it should make an
`environmentally aware' choice (KDE for KDE, Gnome for Gnome, Joe's Wackyterm
for everybody else) -- but it's absurd to base the _whole menu structure_
around such a piddling little detail.

[I think that in many case it will be a non-issue because a system will only
have the main KDE apps installed or the main Gnome apps installed, not both.]

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.