Broken KDE3; "fcntl: bad file descriptor"

I've had a nearly completely broken KDE3/3.1 installation under sid for
several weeks now and have been unsuccesful at diagnosing or fixing the
problem(s). This may be related to the problem reported here
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200210/msg00306.html>
about file associations.

Most of the KDE applications crash when run. e.g., kate gives:

~>kate
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 49, expecting version 59 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype Kate/Plugin
not found
KCrash: Application 'kate' crashing...
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor
fcntl: Bad file descriptor

kghostview will run, but then gives an error when opening PDFs; unknown
mime-type application/octet-stream and then no mime types installed.

And so forth. Can somehow suggest how I might return my KDE packages to a
useable state, absent returning to KDE2? My sources.list include:

deb http://download.us.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.3/Debian ./ # KDE 3.0.4 (sid)
deb http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody ./ # Unofficial KDE 3.0.3 for Woody (Koffice 1.2rc-1)
deb http://people.debian.org/~msp ./  # kmerlin & kpovmodeler
deb http://www.inetontario.com/~tcharron/keramik/ ./  # keramik