Re: KDE 3.2-beta2

> > <BEGIN FORM LETTER>
>
> Yes, yes, I *know* we don't support these packages, etc etc etc, but that
> doesn't mean it's not worth coordinating to avoid these problems where
> possible.

Absolutely! As someone who is using "outside" debs, I have a vested
interest in there being a clearly defined upgrade path.

> There's also the selfish motivation that whilst at the moment we get posts to
> the list which anyone can deal with or ignore as they please, when it starts
> going through the BTS it becomes my personal responsibility (for the modules
> I maintain), and though I agree we don't support this that whatever, I don't
> particularly like just slamming the door on people.  So I'm keen to see as
> few problems as possible arise in the first place. :)

See above! *However*, and this was the point of the form letter, the
*vast* majority of upgrade bugs would be mitigated completely by
following the instructions.  Can you think of something* that *wouldn't*
be fixed by removing all relevant KDE packages, installing from the One
True Apt-Source, and (possibly) mv'ing your .kde? I can't.

> And when you reiterate that it's fine to politely redirect them to debian-kde
> or whatever and close the bugs, I'll reiterate the first paragraph above. :)

I won't reiterate that, as it wasn't my suggestion B-)  My suggestion is:
coordinate on packaging as much as possible but don't sweat the small stuff.
Or even the mildly large stuff. Between your efforts and my proposed
form letter, most everybody should be well taken care of.  I agree that
having to come to debian-kde or #debian-kde shouldn't be necessary.  I
just don't think it would be, assuming people can read ;-)

D.A.Bishop