Re: KDE 3.2-beta2

> *grin*.. part of my worry is what I suspect will happen when KDE3 enters sid,
> which is that bug reports will start coming in that we'll have to deal with
> due to broken upgrade paths resulting from various unusual combinations of
> the ever-proliferating repositories of kde3 debs. :)

<BEGIN FORM LETTER>

Thank you, <BUG REPORTER NAME HERE>, for taking the time to submit a bug
report regarding Debian/KDE.  We take great pride in the quality of work that
we produce here, and we're glad that you are able to benefit from it.
Unfortunately, we are unable to garuntee that upgrading from packages
obtained outside of the official channels provided by Debian (stable,
testing, and unstable) will work, and it appears that you have run into
one of those difficulties.  What follows is a quick way to fix almost
any upgrade problems that you might have had.  In the event that it
does not clear up your issue, please feel free to contact us again
through the bug reporting system, the mailing list at
debian-kde@mail.debian.org, or #debian on <WHATEVER IRC NETWORK>.

1) To remove all currently installed KDE packages, first, either log out
of X into a console, or use a different windowmanager/desktop environment
temporarily. Then, 'apt-get remove libqt3-mt'.  That should cascade down
and remove all of the packages.  To double-check, run 'dpkg -l | grep -i
kde | grep ^ii'.  If there are any packages left, run apt-get remove
individually on them.

2) 'apt-get install kde' to reinstall KDE, or, simply grab only the
packages you want (konqueror, kmail, and konsole are good choices).

3) If you experience instability with applications after doing this,
please move your .kde directory to a different directory (.kde.old is
popular), login again, and see if it still crashes.  If it does, submit
a bug report and move your .kde back!  If not, well, this is a great
opportunity to see all the new features that are available in kcontrol
and the various application preferences.  Good files to copy over from
.kde.old to .kde are booomarks.xml and kmailrc.

4) Have fun!

Again, we apologize for any inconvience this has caused you, and hope
you have a great day.

</END FORM LETTER>

Yes, I work at a big corporation B-)

D.A.Bishop