Kmail: Could not start process pop3

I took the genius sources and decided, as in Ivan's time, to build my
own internal Debian archive (via dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null >
Packages). I was able to install most of the KDE apps I fancy, like
konqueror, kmail and kdict. Being a mix-and-match sort of guy, I'm not
running any desktop environment.

With kmail I encounter the above error. I can send mail via
exim (this post should be sufficient proof of that). But I can't get
mail directly (that is within KMail) from any pop servers (I have to
use fetchmail for that).

--
Humanity's future is in the stars. Support a manned mission to Mars!