Re: kdms default path 'wrong' (WAS: KDE 3 packaging - bug thread)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 05:00:16PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > i created /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98ossi_envsetup containing
> >
> > . /etc/profile
> > test $HOME/.profile && . $HOME/.profile
>
> This is not correct because login script should not be sourced when X is
> started from text mode using startx.

oops ... right ...

> I believe the correct solution is something like
> #!/bin/bash --login
> on the top of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession (and Xsessions of other dm's).

this suffers from the same security (well, policy enforcement) problem as
my version.

> But it is wrong if user's shell is not bash.

so why not source the files explicitly?
this also has another downside: bash will prefer .bash_profile over
.profile. but my .bash_profile contains
. ~/.profile
. ~/.bashrc
this is a neat trick to ensure that the interactive setup is loaded by
all interactive shells - and only by them.

> By the way, if login script is used only to set some environment vars
> and these vars are system-wide, /etc/environment may be used. It is
> loaded by pam_env.

correct. i already filed a wish against pam to use ~/.environment as
well, but it does not look like it will be done anytime soon.

greetings