Re: Fwd: RE: kmail socket

On Fri, 31 May 2002 21:33, Peter T. Abplanalp wrote:
> am i correct in my conclusion that you get this complaint from
> alexander@wizard.koenig.su if your mta is not set up as an open relay?

I doubt it.  My servers are clean.

On Fri, 31 May 2002 21:48, Jay Kline wrote:
> To flood someone with email dosnt require special software.  You just need
> 2 mail servers (or one broken one).  Set up an account that forwards the
> email to him, and to an account on the other server. That account forwards
> the mail to him and to the other account.  These nasty little mail loops
> can kill servers, so many of them have mechanisms to stop it from getting

Or a simple shell script that does:
while /bin/true ...

But that's easy to block.  Use random From addresses (and random To addresses
when aimed at the secondary MX servers) and it's slightly more difficult to
block, change your IP address every hour and it's very difficult.

This is why when I wrote Postal I made sure it was easy to block accidental
or malicious DOS attacks.  But I presume that the koenig.su people aren't
smart enough to know how to do that.  ;)