Re: Upgraded to woody and printing from KDE stopped

On Friday 29 March 2002 23:36, Steffen Evers wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 22:30, Gruetzner wrote:
> >     I then manually editted  /etc/printcap, changing the semi-colon (
> > ; ) after hl1250 to a colon ( : ).   That fixed one error message.
> > The error message now reads:
>
> No, this was not good.
> I have this line in my printcap file:
> lp|cdj970;r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
>
> Without knowing so much about the way apsfilter works, I guess
>   cdj970;r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=auto
> are parameters for apsfilter. So, you should not play around with these.
>
> Try printing a testpage with your old printcap (; instead of :).

    A catastrophe error message popped up:  bad printer name.

> Yes, you were right. This problem is not fixed in the current KDE
> packages and you should file a bug. The parsing of the printer name
> from the printcap file does not work properly. It should stop at the
> first pipe '|' as pipes separate alternative names for the same
> printer. However, it does not.

   That is likely part of the problem.  I need to research *how* to file a
bug report--and with whom?  Apsfilter?  Debian-kde?   Someone else?

> A quick workaround is to login as root and to set in the KDE
> Control Center under System/printer the correct printer name.
> Then printing should work for you even with KDE. :-)

   Well, I did that.  It totally rewrote printcap to remove the filters,
which was fine for simple text documents, but leaves a lot to be desired
elsewhere!

   I went back and SETUP the apsfilter, and changed the first line from
aps1|hl1250;r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
aps1|hl1250:r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\

   This produced the "bad printer name" catastrophe.

  So, I changed it to
aps1:r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\

...and it printed (from KWord)--except the first two lines were missing
(outside the margins?) and there was only one typeface (~arial).  However,
fontsize (10pt, 12pt) and bolding appeared to work fine!

   Thanks again for the help.   Eventually migrating to CUPS may help, but
that appears to be a future try.

  Have a great day!

   James