Re: Kmail issue/problem

On Thursday 07 March 2002 12:14 pm, Dan DeVries wrote:
> Hi,
>  Has anyone else had this problem
>  before I upgraded to sid my Kmail worked perfect but you might notice I'm
>  using Mutt to send this message on a different machine.
>  I can download my mail from yahoo no problem but when I send mail I always
>  get and I quote
>  "sending failed
>   a SMTP error occured
>   Command MAIL
>   Response: 530 authentication required for help got to help.yahoo blah...
>   The following transport protocol was used
>   smtp://smtp.mail.yahoo.com:25"
>
>  no doubt before I sent to this list I have been looking for help or fix it
>
>  I remove Kmail and put back the old version 1.2 instead of 1.3 just incase
>  but the problem persistes.  I looked at FAQ and have tried downloading my
>  mail and then sending whats in my queue, to authenticate but it didn't
> work. There is an option to store mail and send it after
> checking/downloading your mail. Again, it downloads my mail but errors on
> sending my mail.
>
>  I don't get why it is authenticating to get my mail but it can't send it.
>
>  Any Ideas, did I miss something? Do you need more information?
>
>  Note, just in case its yahoo I used Mozilla 0.9.8 and it sent my mail
>
>  By the way other than this KDE works great and just wanted to say what a
>  great job you guys do.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Dan

    Dan:

I may simply be too confused to help, but . .   Are you *sure* yahoo is your
smtp server?  I had used yahoo for a short time, but I had to use my normal
ISP's smtp for outgoing mail.  I am still required to use cox's address even
though users send me mail @arrl.net.

If you are indeed using yahoo as an ISP, then I would double check the smtp
settings and verify you are not attempting to *relay* through them
erronously.  Also, do you need to pop mail first *then* send?

Good luck to you.

tatah and 73

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.