Re: x-session-manager?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:01:01AM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:24:12AM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Every window-manager is registered as alternative in the category
> > x-window-manager (arg, I had to do that manually for xfce but it seems to be
> > orphaned :..( )
> > However, kde registers as x-session-manager. I know that it is rather a
> > session than a window-manager but this cannot be changed anyway (or does it).
> > So why it is done this way?
>
> Afaik, kde isn't a x-session-manager, KDM is, and you can use KDM with
> other window managers.

Just to further muddy the waters:
kdm has its own system with the other *dm's, where it sets the default
manager ... I'm unsure as to whether it registers as an x-s-m or not.
KDE is definitely a session manager rather than a window manager ... if
something's going to register as a window manager, it'd have to be kwin,
the component of KDE that actually *is* a window manager.

How does GNOME do it?
:) d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
* DannyS abandons all his morals and makes an appeal for access to a build box