Re: KDE-Debian HowTo for KDE2 & Debian3=Woody X86. Ver 0.1

> --- Kamil Kisiel <kamil@kamilkisiel.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:48:07PM -0800, tluxt <tluxt@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > apt-get -s install kdebase ;Optional: Simulate the install
>>
>> [- snip -]
>>
>> Using apt-get install kdebase will give users only the "base" system.
>> Usually such installations cause only problems and confuse users (I
>> have encountered countless users on IRC who have had problems such as
>> this). I think it would be preferable to recommend for them to install the
>> "kde" metapackage which depends on all the KDE software. At the very
>> least this HowTo should explain that installing just the kdebase package
>> is not enough to have a fully useable system.
>
>Great suggestion!  Where do I find it?
>
>#apt-cache show kde
># apt-get -s install kde
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>Package kde has no available version, but exists in the database.
>This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
>never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
>of sources.list
>E: Package kde has no installation candidate
>#

This doesn't seem to work in Woody right now I guess, but it is working
in Sid currently. I'm assuming it will transition to Woody with the rest
of KDE once all it's depends (which is all of KDE) are there.

>What is the name of the KDE metapackage, and how does one install it?
>

>> You should also have sections in the HowTo that explain which packages
>> to pull from Non-US to get SSL and other crypto stuff working. Including
>> a "where to get help" section that mentions this mailing list and the
>> #debian-kde and #debian channels on irc.openprojects.net would be useful
>> too.
>
>Which packages does one pull from Non-US to get SSL and other
>crypto stuff working?

kdebase-crypto
kdelibs3-crypto

>What command asks the system what SSL related packages are currently
>installed on the system?

dpkg --list | (filter as neccessary here)

>Thanks for mentioning IRC.  Since you brought it up, what is the best
>program to access IRC when using KDE?

ksirc or kvirc.. the upcoming kit2, or any other IRC client