Re: KDE-Debian HowTo for KDE2 & Debian3=Woody X86. Ver 0.1

--- Kamil Kisiel <kamil@kamilkisiel.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:48:07PM -0800, tluxt <tluxt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > apt-get -s install kdebase ;Optional: Simulate the install
>
> [- snip -]
>
> Using apt-get install kdebase will give users only the "base" system.
> Usually such installations cause only problems and confuse users (I
> have encountered countless users on IRC who have had problems such as
> this). I think it would be preferable to recommend for them to install the
> "kde" metapackage which depends on all the KDE software. At the very
> least this HowTo should explain that installing just the kdebase package
> is not enough to have a fully useable system.

Great suggestion!  Where do I find it?

#apt-cache show kde
# apt-get -s install kde
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package kde has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package kde has no installation candidate
#

What is the name of the KDE metapackage, and how does one install it?

> You should also have sections in the HowTo that explain which packages
> to pull from Non-US to get SSL and other crypto stuff working. Including
> a "where to get help" section that mentions this mailing list and the
> #debian-kde and #debian channels on irc.openprojects.net would be useful
> too.

Which packages does one pull from Non-US to get SSL and other
crypto stuff working?

What command asks the system what SSL related packages are currently
installed on the system?

Thanks for mentioning IRC.  Since you brought it up, what is the best
program to access IRC when using KDE?