Re: KDE-Debian HowTo for KDE2 & Debian3=Woody X86. Ver 0.1

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:48:07 -0800 (PST), tluxt wrote:

>KDE-Debian HowTo for KDE2 & Debian3=Woody X86.  Ver 0.1

This is oustanding information, and a great contribution from you -
thanks very much.

I think there must be quite a few of us who love our Debian systems,
really want to get to grips with the latest stable KDE, but aren't
knowledgable enough to live on the very bleeding edge with the rest of
the pioneers.  Woody seems pretty near release quality (I've been
trying it) but actually assembling all the bits needed to make a fully
functional workstation still seems daunting to me, and your FAQ is
just what I needed.

> I do welcome info about this document.

Just one thing at the moment : I've been building a Woody/unstable-KDE
system on a box with an S3 Virge graphics card, and it seems the
Xfree86 V4.x S3 driver doesn't work at the moment (it fails to
recognise the card and startx bombs out saying "no hardware found", or
something like that).  I found a posting from Ben Collins (sorry -
can't find the URL now) advising someone else to use the Xfree86
V3.3.6 driver from testing, which works for me.

My current struggle is to get sound working - the box has a
Soundblaster AWE64 PnP card, and I can't figure out how to get
isapnptools to initialise it properly - I'm stuck in a "AWE32: not
detected" situation :-(

From what you and Jens and others say, Alsa is the way to go, so I'll
try that.

>Thanks to: David Bishop, Jason Boxman, Jens Benecke, the debian-kde list,
>and others.

Again - thanks to you too.

Nick
Bristol, UK
--
Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming: Never test for an
error condition you don't know how to handle.