Re: CD Writer for filesystems, & HD Backup SW HowTo - Recommendations please?

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:38:52AM -0800, tluxt wrote:
> Also this one from freshmeat, which was in the search results but I
> overlooked.
>
> 2. cdrecord Creates disk-at-once and track-at-once audio or data CDs
<snip>

    cdrecord is *the* cd recording software for linux.  Nearly every other
cd recording app you'll find will be merely a frontend to cdrecord.  The
only exception I know to this is cdrdao, and even it uses cdrecord's drivers.

    As for the ide-to-scsi emulation you mentioned in your previous mail --
this is handled by the kernel.  The cdrecord code assumes your cdr is scsi,
but this is okay, because the kernel can make your ide drive appear to be
scsi -- just make sure the ide-cd module isn't loaded, then load the
ide-scsi, sg, and (possibly) the sr_mod module.

    To bring this back on topic, KreateCD is pretty nice.  For backing up,
though, you might want to look at the bottom of
http://www.linux-backup.net/app.gwif.html -- Google is your friend :-).

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"I think I said something eloquent, like 'Fuck.'" -- Rusty Russell