CD Writer for filesystems, & HD Backup SW HowTo - Recommendations please?

What is the best GUI CD filesystem writing sw avial that runs under KDE,
either:
1) KDE specific, or
2) not KDE specific.

Also: What is the best backup sw to backup a HD onto a CD? (I haven't
looked this up yet, myself.)

Ie, I want to write a directory tree onto the CDs. (Like for doing data
backup.)  For CD-R & CD-RW media.  You can make suggestions about for
writing audio CDs also, but I really want to know about filesystem
writers now.

This needs info about how to support IDE interface cd writers - so, what
needs to be known about drivers?  (I remember something about needing an
IDE to SCSI interface fake layer?)

Below is some info I found, but I don't know anything more about them
than this.

apt-cache search cd | grep kde
kdebase-audiolibs - KDE audio libraries amd modules for kdebase

apt-cache search cd | grep write
cdcontrol - A parallel burner that allow you to write to one or more
  CD-Writter at once
gcdmaster - Create audio CDs and write them in disk-at-once mode
xcdroast - X based CD-writer software

http://linux.tucows.com/mmedia/cd_burners_rating.html

4 Likely candidates:

KreateCD 1.1.0 - 5Cows
This is a front end for cdrecord, cdparanoia and mkisofs.
October 22nd, 2001  GPL  1.2MB  KDE

X-CD-Roast 0.98 Alpha 9 - 5Cows
This provides a GUI interface for commands like cdrecord and mksiofs.
July 19th, 2001  GPL  634.2K  X11

KisoCD 0.6.3 - 4Cows
front end for mkisofs and cdrecord that lets you create data CDs
  with drag-and-drop.
August 1st, 2000  GPL  344.6K  KDE

KOnCD 0.9.8 - 4Cows
allows you to master CDs with mkisofs and cdrecord programs.
September 24th, 2001  GPL   1.2MB  KDE

http://apps.kde.com > categories > Computer Devices > CDs > KDE 2.2.x
gave me 8 listings

kcd Summary: a simple CD player applet for the panel
 Rating:5.0 -- 1 review  (rate it)
 Recommended:   71% (7 votes)

Korbis Summary: an easy-to-use interface for cdparanoia and OggEnc
 Rating:5.0 -- 1 review  (rate it)
 Recommended:   75% (8 votes)

CD Bake Oven Summary: a graphical CD-creation/copying tool
 Rating:4.5 -- 4 reviews  (rate it)
 Recommended:   92% (111 votes)

K3b Summary: a user-friendly CD-writing program
 Rating:4.5 -- 10 reviews  (rate it)
 Recommended:   79% (72 votes)

KreateCD Summary: a graphical frontend for CD writers
 Rating:4.5 -- 22 reviews  (rate it)
 Recommended:   80% (165 votes)

KOnCD Summary: a front-end to the fabulous mkisofs and cdrecord programs
 Rating:4.0 -- 55 reviews  (rate it)
 Recommended:   57% (412 votes)

kscd Summary: a fast, CDDB enabled cd player
 Rating:2.5 -- 4 reviews  (rate it)
 Recommended: 92% (14 votes)

arson Summary: a frontend to various CD ripping/burning tools
 Rating:1.0 -- 1 review
 Recommended:   83% (24 votes)

http://freshmeat.net

search: cd write X    -1st item relevant:

10. Gnome Toaster  Create CD-Rs the easy way with GNOME/GTK.
Environment :: X11 Applications :: Gnome [filter]
Intended Audience :: End Users/Desktop [filter]
Topic :: Desktop Environment :: Gnome [filter]
Updated: 26-Jan-2002
Rating: 0.00/10.00
Vitality: 69.36%
Popularity: 6.68%

search: cd write kde  - only 1 item found:

1. KreateCD  Frontend for CD writers using KDE
Development Status :: 4 - Beta [filter]
Environment :: X11 Applications :: KDE [filter]
License :: OSI Approved :: GNU General Public License (GPL) [filter]
Operating System :: POSIX :: Linux [filter]
Topic :: Multimedia :: Sound/Audio [filter],
System :: Archiving :: Backup [filter]
Added: 30-Apr-1999
Updated: 22-Oct-2001
Rating: 0.00/10.00