Re: Postscript & PDF view & print with CUPS - howto?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:46:17PM -0800, tluxt wrote:
> Several things here.
>
> 1st - Thanks to everyone's help on CUPS for KDE.  I've now got CUPS
> printing a test page perfectly on an Epson color inkjet. I've got Konq
> printing the KDE home page, etc.  I can print from Kwrite.
>
> Now: So, I want to view and print PDF files.

Great. Install KGhostview (or gv), and click on "print". Ghostscript does
the rest.

Yes, it's THAT simple. :)

That's about it. Perhaps http://packages.debian.org/, if you use Debian.

> I searched freshmeat for "pdf" and got 113 projects - overload!
> I then searched for "pdf viewer" and got 3 projects. Xpdf looked good.
> I installed it, and it views a file fine.  It will also output a .ps file,
> from it's "print" icon (it doesn't print the file).

Instead of "lpr", you can use (and pipe to) "kprinter", which will open a
KDE print dialog after it got all its stuff.

> I apt-get -s install ghostscript  -  apt-get says it's mentioned, but not
> available.  OK.

I would recommend gs-aladdin. It's more recent and contains more drivers,
but it's in non-free.

> Luck - a recent post on this list mentioning kghostview.  apt-get -s
> install kghostview     -  shows a depends on gs.  Ah.  How was I supposed
> to know the package name in Debian of ghostscript is gs?

http://packages.debian.org, or

$ apt-cache search "ghostscript"
gs-stp - Postscript interpreter with X11 and svgalib preview support.
abc2ps - Translates ABC music description files to PostScript
apsfilter - Magic print filter with automatic file type recognition
bmv - PostScript viewer for SVGAlib
efax - Programs to send and receive fax messages.
ghostview - a PostScript viewer for X11
gnome-gv - GNOME PostScript/PDF viewer
gs - The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter
gs-common - Common files for different Ghostscript releases
gsfonts - Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
gsfonts-x11 - Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11.
gv - A PostScript and PDF viewer for X using 3d Athena Widgets
hpoj - HP OfficeJet Linux driver (hpoj)
lexmark7000linux - A printer driver for Lexmark 7000 "GDI" printers
libdps1 - Display PostScript (DPS) client library
libroxen-tex - LaTeX/TeX syntax module for the Roxen Challenger web server
lpr - BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system
lpr-ppd - BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system
pdq - Simple printing system for workstations
pstotext - Extract text from PostScript and PDF files.
python-imaging - The Python Imaging Library.
tex4ht - LaTeX and TeX for Hypertext (HTML)
ttf2pt1-chinese - Chinese fonts encoding maps for ttf2pt1
type1inst - Install Adobe Type 1 fonts into X11 and Ghostscript
webmin-lpadmin - printer control module for webmin
cmap-adobe-cns1 - CMaps for Adobe-CNS1.
cmap-adobe-gb1 - CMaps for Adobe-GB1.
cmap-adobe-japan1 - CMaps for Adobe-Japan1.
cmap-adobe-japan2 - CMaps for Adobe-Japan2.
cmap-adobe-korea1 - CMaps for Adobe-Korea1.
freefont - Freeware font selection for X11
gs-cjk-resource - Resource files for gs-cjk, ghostscript CJK-TrueType extension.
gsfonts-other - Additional fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
pips760 - Photo Image Print System for Linux (EPSON PM-760C)
pips770 - Photo Image Print System for Linux (EPSON PM-770C)
pips800 - Photo Image Print System for Linux (EPSON PM-800C)
pips820-3300 - Photo Image Print System for Linux (EPSON PM-820C/PM-3300C)
gs-pdfencrypt - Provides support to view encrypted PDFs with GhostScript.
berlin-kit-drawing-postscript - Postscript DrawingKit for the Berlin display server
cupsys-driver-gimpprint - gimp-print printer driver for CUPS
dvipdfm - A DVI to PDF translator.
gimp1.2-print - print plugin for the GIMP
gsfonts-wadalab-common - Japanese symbol fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
gsfonts-wadalab-gothic - Japanese gothic fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
gsfonts-wadalab-mincho - Japanese mincho fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
hpijs - HP Inkjet Server - Ghostscript driver for HP inkjets
python1.5-imaging - The Python Imaging Library.
python2.1-imaging - The Python Imaging Library.
python2.2-imaging - The Python Imaging Library.
svgalib1-altdev - Shared, non-x, graphics library used by Ghostscript et al.
svgalibg1-dev - Shared, non-x, graphics library used by Ghostscript et al.
gs-aladdin - The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter

That enough? :)

$ apt-cache show gs-aladdin
Package: gs-aladdin
Section: non-free/text
Installed-Size: 7168
Maintainer: Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 7.03-2
Replaces: gs (<< 6.51)
Provides: postscript-viewer, gs
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libpaperg (>= 1.1.2), libpng3, xlibs (>> 4.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3), gs-common
Recommends: gsfonts (>= 6.0-1), psfontmgr
Suggests: gs-pdfencrypt
Conflicts: gs (<< 6.51)
Filename: pool/non-free/g/gs-aladdin/gs-aladdin_7.03-2_i386.deb
Size: 2292776
MD5sum: 4021e0fa1354ae19c0247b55fc672da1
 This version is Aladdin copyright, not GNU copyleft, see
 /usr/share/doc/gs-aladdin/copyright.
 .
 Ghostscript is used for postscript preview and printing.  Usually as
 a back-end to a program such as ghostview, it can display postscript
 documents in an X11 environment.
 .
 Furthermore, it can render postscript files as graphics to be printed
 on non-postscript printers. Supported printers include common
 dot-matrix, inkjet and laser models.
 .
 Package gsfonts contains a set of standard fonts for ghostscript.
 .
 You have to install the gs-pdfencrypt package to be able to preview
 encrypted pdf files. That package is in the nonus distribution due to
 the US regulations about exporting cryptographic software
 (please look under ftp://nonus.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US to find it).
 .
 The Ghostscript World Wide Web home page is at http://www.ghostscript.com/

> So, I install kghostview, run it, select "file - Open", select the file
> in the directory that has been created by Xpdf, and the page shows up
> perfectly in the "preview" window of the file selection window.  But when
> I click "OK" to open it a signal 11 occurs.  :(.

This seems to be a bug. File one and include a backtrace. I haven't had
this happen to me yet.

You might want to "apt-get install acroread" if you want "the real
(commercial) thing".

> Q3)  How does one find out a list of all the KDE related sw that is
> available in the Debian system but isn't installed by doing an install of
> KDE? (Such as kghostview.)

packages.debian.org, or

$ apt-cache search kde
abbrowser - Address book reader
amor - a KDE creature for your desktop
axel-kapt - A light download accelerator - Console version front-end
bibletime - A bible study tool for KDE
bug-buddy - A graphical bug reporting tool for GNOME
c-cpp-reference - C and C++ reference for KDevelop
captain - Graphical front-end for command line programs (Qt version)
(...)

> Q3) Why, when I installed kghostview, was the package NOT added to my KDE
> "K/start" menu of programs?  - Wouldn't that be expected?

Yes. It was probably added but the menu refreshes itself only every minute
or so.

> Q4)  Why, when I installed Xpdf, was that not added to the "K" menu?
> (Under perhaps a "debian" section)?

s.a.

> Q5) Does the "Kghostview sig 11's when trying to open a .ps file created
> by the 'print' of Xpdf, although the file is displayed fine (text &
> images) in the open dialog preview window" sound like a bug that ought to
> be submitted on the kghostview package?

Hm. Does it crash when you print it, or when you open it, or when gs
renders it, or when gs renders it to the printer, or ...?

> Ok, so now I run gs, and it opens the .pdf file.  Ok, so now I've found
> and am reading the gs docs.  There's a lot there.

> Q6) How do I print a page in the gs view window, to the CUPS default
> printer "p1", when I started gs from the command line with "gs
> docname.pdf"?

without GUI:
	lpr docname.pdf

with GUI:
 	kprinter docname.pdf

(I would guess)

and CUPS takes care of the rest (conversion, rendering, etc).

> As always, your help here will help others by going into the "KDE
> Printing & Viewing HOwto" which I hope to create when I get all this
> working.

Have fun :-)

--
mfg, Jens Benecke
http://www.jensbenecke.de/ - Persönliches

Politics is like a septic tank - all the big shits float to the top.