Re: Postscript & PDF view & print with CUPS - howto?

[Man, you must like making me type :-)]

On Thursday 24 January 2002 12:46 am, tluxt wrote:
> Several things here.
>
> 1st - Thanks to everyone's help on CUPS for KDE.  I've now got CUPS
> printing a test page perfectly on an Epson color inkjet. I've got Konq
> printing the KDE home page, etc.  I can print from Kwrite.

Were you going to make a summary, and send it to the debian doc folks? That
would be awfully nifty of you....

> Now:
>
> So, I want to view and print PDF files.
>
> Q1) What is the suggested/best way (other than asking someone, like in this
> list) to find, on one's own, the appropriate sw to use under the KDE
> system?

This also answers Q3, but apt-cache search is your friend.  For instance, if
I was looking for a pdf viewer related to kde, I would try the following two
commands:

$ apt-cache search kde | grep -i pdf
which returns nothing.  Then, I would try
$ apt-cache search pdf | grep -i kde
which returns kghostview.  To see what kghostview is, I would run
$apt-cache show kghostview
which gives a nice, consise description.  Bingo, install it.

> I apt-get -s install ghostscript  -  apt-get says it's mentioned, but not
> available.  OK.

In this case, run:
$ apt-cache search ghostscript
This returns 51 hits.  Too many.  So, filter by:
apt-cache search ghostscript | grep -i ghostscript
This will remove any packages that just depend on ghostscript, or are
otherwise related, but not core.  This gets it down to 15, the very first one
of which is gs, with a description of "The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter"

> Luck - a recent post on this list mentioning kghostview.
>
> apt-get -s install kghostview     -  shows a depends on gs.
> Ah.  How was I supposed to know the package name in Debian of ghostscript
> is gs?

See above :)

> So, I install kghostview, run it, select "file - Open", select the file in
> the directory that has been created by Xpdf, and the page shows up
> perfectly in the "preview" window of the file selection window.  But when
> I click "OK" to open it a signal 11 occurs.  :(.

There were also some posts recently about people having problems with
kghostview.  I'm not having those problems, but YMMV.  See if their fixes
apply to you.

> Q2) What's the best tool for viewing & printing PDF files using the KDE
> desktop?

Kghostview.  Kghostview can also view/print pdf files natively, as they are
(basically) a subset/extention of ps.

> Q3)  How does one find out a list of all the KDE related sw that is
> available in the Debian system but isn't installed by doing an install of
> KDE? (Such as kghostview.)

$ apt-cache search kde | more

That lists 300 packages on my install, plenty to start just browsing.

> Q3) Why, when I installed kghostview, was the package NOT added to my KDE
> "K/start" menu of programs?  - Wouldn't that be expected?

On mine, it's listed under "graphics" as "PS/PDF Viewer".

> Q4)  Why, when I installed Xpdf, was that not added to the "K" menu?
> (Under perhaps a "debian" section)?

Again, it's listed on mine under graphics -> viewers -> xpdf.

> Q5) Does the "Kghostview sig 11's when trying to open a .ps file created
> by the 'print' of Xpdf, although the file is displayed fine (text &
> images) in the open dialog preview window" sound like a bug that ought to
> be submitted on the kghostview package?

If the previously posted fixes don't work for you, yes.

> Ok, so now I run gs, and it opens the .pdf file.  Ok, so now I've found
> and am reading the gs docs.  There's a lot there.

Yes :-)  Overwhelming much, in my experience...

> Q6) How do I print a page in the gs view window, to the CUPS default
> printer "p1", when I started gs from the command line with "gs
> docname.pdf"?

This, I don't know.  I can always print straight from kghostview :-P

> Thanks!
>
> As always, your help here will help others by going into the "KDE Printing
> & Viewing HOwto" which I hope to create when I get all this working.

Aha!  That answers *my* first question!  Thanks.....

- --
D.A.Bishop