XFree86 is eating my CPU!

My system has seemed a bit sluggish lately and gkrellm shows over 50% CPU
utilization.  When I do a "top", the XFree86 process is shown to consume over
50% of available CPU cycles.

This never happens in other window managers, so I believe it to be a KDE
problem.  With Blackbox I never go above 1-2%.

This only began occuring recently (less than 1 month ago) and persists,
despite upgrading my machine nightly.  Can anyone offer some insight?
--
Comments and information are appreciated.
Flames, rants, and other miscellany are routed to /dev/null.

Robert Tilley, tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com