Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:

> It seems that your reasoning that "/opt is reserved for things like Loki
> games" is incorrect. See my mail titled "Interpeting FHS".

> That is a serious misunderstanding of "add-on". By add-on here it means
> application software that is not essential for system functionality, such as
> KDE. Saying that "distribution provided" software is not "add on application
> software" is gross misunderstanding of the terms involved.

Yes I saw it but you are still missing the point.  English is not the most
precise of languages but the meaning of add-on should be fairly clear.  It
is something extra beyond what is provided in the base distribution.  So
how would you define that for Debian?  contrib and non-free which are not
officially part of Debian?  Any package of priority optional or extra?  As
you can see none of those packages are placed in /opt.

The use of /opt goes back to the bad old days of commercial UNIX when
vendors would try and soak you for every penny you had.  (I believe with
SCO even TCP/IP was an add-on at one point!)  You would have a base OS and
other extra packages you could purchase.  Also third-party vendors would
sell their own packages.  Plus there was free software.  All of those
things were usually placed in /opt to signify they were not part of the
base OS.  For instance on a Solaris 8 system I have here there are only
three things under /opt.  /opt/gnome-1.4 is GNOME, not a Sun product.
/opt/sfw comes from a CD of freeware they put out which again is not a Sun
product and /opt/SUNWebnfs is WebNFS which is a Sun product but not part
of basic Solaris.

Now how do you map this concept of addons to Debian?  All our packages,
even the "extra" and "non-free" ones are first-class citizens.  We don't
sell enhancements or upgrades.  Conceivably in the days of the licensing
wars you could have considered KDE an "add-on" to Debian but not now.

> On the contrary, FHS says distributions can install software in /opt, except
> certain subdirs reserved for the system administrator.

Does SuSe consider KDE3 to be a "preview" release or unsupported or
sometheing you pay extra for?  Then it would be legitimate to put it into
/opt.  If they are just too lazy to properly integrate it into their
system then this is not something we should be emulating.

> Before you give an answer to this, please read the mail I mentioned, and
> section 3.8 in complete.

Also bear in mind the purpose of the FHS is not just to set policy but
codify existing practice.  Somethings may be allowed which are not
necessarily recommended to do.

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>