Re: Severe periodical hang up on KDE 2.2

> > It works very well except that periodically, about after two hours of use
> > or so, it suddenly starts crunching the disk as if swapping heavily.
> >
> > [...]
>
> I recently had a similar problem! Just that the memory consumption is
> happening when I login into kde. When using windowmaker everything is
> [...]
> kernel version to 2.4.16 but still no solution. Maybe the problem is
> related to hardware, my system is a celeron notebook with ati rage pro
> video card. What do you use?

I changed to Linux 2.4.17 and the problem went away - sort of. Now the system
doesn't hang up, but rather some application just die unexpectedly. My system
specs were originally these: Celeron 300 Mhz, 128 MB, XFree86 4.1.0.1, Diamon
viper 550 (TNT 1 variant).

The only common component we have seems to be the Celeron processor. Feels
quite unlikely, though, that it would be the problem. It *might* be a KDE
bug - or perhaps the XFree86 4.1 HW acceleration extension introduced some
new aspects to the API that NVidia and ATI driver don't yet support properly?

Anyway, I'm just updating the HW: changing NVidia to Matrox, Celeron to P4
and adding more RAM. If the problem still persists, we can be quite sure that
this is a KDE, XFree86 or Linux bug.

- Jarno

--
In a museum in Havana, there are two skulls of Christopher Columbus,
"one when he was a boy and one when he was a man."